Chickpea Tofu - Soy Free!
Looking for a soy free version of tofu? Meet chickpea tofu! Made from chickpea flour this base recipe is a gateway to oh so many flavours. When putting together your dry mix why not add some curry powder for an Indian dish, some five spice for a stir fry or some herbs for sliceable sandwich filler.
120 g chickpea flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp turmeric optional
440 ml water
1. In a bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients before adding the water. Add the water gradually whisking until there are no lumps.
2. Pour the batter into a saucepan and cook over medium heat. Stir continuously as things will happen quickly in the end. The mixture will start to get lumpy as the pan heats up and then it will thicken quickly at around 4 to 5 mins.
3. Keep cooking for another 2 minutes so the chickpea flour gets cooked through.
4. Pour the mixture into a loaf pan or pyrex dish and smooth it out on top. Leave it to cool completely.
5. Once set the block should remove from the pan easily. Slice into cubes or your desired shape and store in an airtight container in the fridge ready for your favourite recipe.
Here we’ve served it cold topped with a chilli oil dressing but it also fry’s really well! Want the recipe for the dressing? Let us know!
Have you given this recipe a go? Let us know! Share a pic on our Instagram, Facebook or Twitter and don't forget to tag us.