Homemade veggie haggis
Want to go that extra mile this Burn's night? Why not try making your own haggis from scratch!
Ingredients for 6 -
50g mixed lentils
50g pearl barley
30g naturli butter
1 large white onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely diced
75g chestnut mushrooms
½ tsp ground allspice
½ tsp ground black pepper
90g pinhead oatmeal
½ tbsp natex yeast spread
600ml kallo vegetable stock
1½ tbsp molasses
1. Soak the mixed lentils in cold water for at least three hours to make them quicker and easier to cook.
2. Boil the barley and drained lentils for about 30-45 minutes until the lentils are softened and the barley has a little bite. Set aside in a bowl.
3. Next melt half the butter in a frying pan and fry the onion on a medium heat until well softened, then add the carrot and fry until both are soft and beginning to brown. Add in the mushrooms and fry for a couple more minutes.
4. Add the all spice and pepper and cook until fragrant.
5. Put the lentils and barley into the pan with the spiced veggies along with the oatmeal and the remaining butter and stir well to combine.
6. Dissolve the natex and treacle in the stock and pour 400ml of it into the pan. Turn up the heat and bring everything to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer until the mixture is very thick and the lentils/barley are very tender, adding more stock as and when needed so it doesn't boil dry.
7. Heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4 and grease a tin to bake your haggis in.
8. Taste the mix for seasoning, add any extra salt and pepper to your taste. Add your haggis mix into the tin, cover and bake for 30 minutes and then bake for a further 30 minutes uncovered.
9. Leave to cool slightly before dishing out and enjoy!
Have you given this recipe a go? Let us know! Share a pic on our Instagram, Facebook or Twitter and don't forget to tag us.